Thursday, December 7, 2023

Final Blog Post

I have grown up surrounded by technology no matter where I went. My relationship with technology started with my parents. I got my first technology when I was five, and it has been a never-ending cycle ever since. My current relationship isn't unhealthy, but I always have an alarming amount of technology as I write this paper. I have my laptop on which I am typing this, my iPad and phone next to me, and my TV in front of me. Generally, on a day-to-day basis, I have a perfect schedule when I am on my phone. I limit my screen time to when I am home after classes and can relax. Technology is now an essential part of my life; with it, my days are the same. 


Overall, with all the time I spend on my phone, iPad, and laptop, I think technology is helping us become smarter, and I see myself learning through these devices as I am right now. There is also so much wrong information through social media that it can lead to misleading information and cause many issues. Social media has been known for its adverse effects on body image and mental health. Mass General Brigham's says The platforms are linked to physical illnesses, anxiety, and depression, and they are made to be addictive. Social media has been a leading cause of depression and is so fake. 


 Why is social media fake? Many influencers even said that social media is fake. Instagram is full of faceting and photoshopping, and people change their appearance to improve it. People also love romanticizing their lives to the point where they aren't true and hide their actual lives, which can be a real downside of social media. People aren't their true selves. The app can break down someone's self-esteem, body image, and overall happiness from a young age. It has been demonstrated that young

women who use Instagram, mainly when posting selfies, have a higher chance of developing eating disorders. Body image is something special, and no one deserves to judge themselves based on other people. This is why the use of social media and honesty needs to come toward. 


This is why the age limit for social media should be set lower. An article said 42 percent of kids have a phone by age 10. By age 12, it's 71 percent. By 14, it's 91 percent. If children under 14 have a phone, I think it should be for safety reasons, and the phone should be restricted to help them develop properly and not have them addicted to social media and enjoy their childhood.


In Futurama, the video goes over what they think the future will look like in the eyes of the people from the 1964 World's Fair in New York. This video says we have men living on earth and on the moon. They also say we have information shared worldwide in milliseconds, which is true. It also goes over machines going into the water to collect minerals, which is true, but we do not have a world under the sea where you can take weekend trips. They say laser beam cutters take the trees and destroy them. We have this but with saws, and we have made highways where once forests were. It is extraordinary that some of the things that were said years ago are true today. 


I keep my digital footprint very clean and respectable. My mother works in HR, and I have learned all the importance of how fast something from the internet can be dug up and ruin your career and reputation. I have a medium online presence. I do not post often; when I do, I am private on all social media just because of everything she taught me. I have heard horror stories from her hiring people and the stuff they find that sadly makes the applicant not get the job. I recommend always being careful what you post and making sure you post it privately if you don't want the whole world to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

I have grown up surrounded by technology no matter where I went. My relationship with technology started with my parents. I got my first tec...